The MP for Older Persons Eastern Region, Ofwono Opondo has criticised the manner in which security agencies are handling investigations involving former Speaker Anita Among, saying the process appears to be turning into a public trial through the media.
Speaking to journalists at Parliament on Thursday, Opondo said there is nothing unusual about a senior government official being investigated, noting that other top leaders have previously gone through similar scrutiny.
He cited former Vice President Gilbert Bukenya and former Inspector General of Police Kale Kayihura as examples of officials who were investigated while holding powerful positions.
However, Opondo raised concern over the way the investigations into Among are being conducted, arguing that the approach risks undermining the credibility of the process.
“It is sad that the investigators did what the Baganda would call okusasamaza, as if they are doing a film and then you wonder to what end, what evidential value will be for court in the way that investigation is being carried out. It appears to me they are trying her through the media which I think is not called for,” Opondo said.
He maintained that investigations should be handled professionally and without unnecessary public spectacle, warning against using the media to create perceptions before court processes are concluded.
Responding to questions about the possible impact of the investigations on Parliament, Opondo said the probe should instead be viewed as proof that the ruling NRM government stands by its principle that no one is above the law.

































