President Museveni has announced the postponment of the Uganda Martyrs’ Day, an annual religious event which happens every June 3.
Museveni said the day has been postponed due to the Ebola outbreak in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo.
He added that the decision was reached after consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders.
“After consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders, we have decided to postpone Martyrs’ Day to a later date, which will be communicated,” Museveni said.
The President explained that Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims from eastern Congo every year for the annual Martyrs’ Day celebrations held on June 3 at Namugongo Martyrs Shrine.
“This decision was made because Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims annually from eastern Congo, which is currently experiencing an Ebola outbreak. To safeguard lives, it is essential that this important event be postponed,” he added.
Martyrs’ Day is an annual religious celebration observed every June 3 at Namugongo and attracts pilgrims from across Uganda and other parts of the world.
By the time the postponement was announced, many pilgrims had already begun their journeys to Namugongo.
Museveni urged those who had already started travelling to return home and continue observing Ebola prevention measures.
“I encourage those who had begun their journey to return home, continue observing the precautionary measures, report anyone who is sick, and encourage those who are ill to seek medical attention,” he said.
The President acknowledged that the postponement may inconvenience many people but emphasized that protecting lives remains the government’s top priority.
“We regret any inconvenience caused, but the protection of life must come first,” Museveni said.



































